View Single Post
Old 03-04-2007, 10:10 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmo View Post
they help the undecided make up their minds.

Vicki and Radioguy;

The important thing to me is you both would be at the front of the line to help the other one if they ever needed help.
We all have respect for each other's views. WE are ALL guilty of getting caught up in the discussion at times.

It is important to remember that we are all brothers and sisters here. That is the only cogent fact in the final analysis.

Charlie
Awwwwww, you guys!

I'm grillin' steaks this afternoon.

Who's comin' over?

Corn on the cob, too! Plenty for EVERYONE!!!

But back to the conversation --

I don't know if there IS a miracle to be found in embryonic stem cell research. I do agree, however, with Story Landis at NINDS that we will NEVER know what's behind the door if we're not allowed to OPEN the durn thing.

People of faith have every right to believe whatever they care to believe. And if folks who are against embryonic stem cell research are ALSO against in vitro fertilization, then I give their POV a lot more credibility. If the same folks who want to stymie the research were ALSO pushing for laws against the incineration of the unwanted blastocysts after a couple has a successful in vitro fertilization procedure, then I also give THAT person credit.

But to stand in the way of using these discarded cells -- and that's what they are, cells -- not cute, cuddly, bouncy little babies -- and NOT say anything against the fact that these cells are going to be destroyed ANYWAY strikes me as disingenuous.

The disposition of these cells should be entirely up to the family. And stem cell research SHOULD be one of the options available to them.

Of course, if your argument is that life begins at the moment sperm meets egg, then I suppose there really isn't room for discussion on this. But, if that's your opinion -- that's YOUR opinion.

The vast majority of Americans see the potential here. When we have leaders that aren't obliged to a right wing evangelical base of support, then hopefully we will see some progress.