View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I'm so sorry to hear of your daughters struggle with RSD ! I really hope things get better for her soon!

I have had RSD since I was 12 years old and i'm now 16. It initially started in my left foot after ankle sprain but has since spread to include both arms and possibly my back.

I spent 13 months in a wheelchair after a nerve block caused me to lose all my coordination. It really affected my outlook on life and made me extremely depressed. I just wanted to be 'normal' and be able to do most things my friends did. I had to rely on my mum to take me everywhere, including the toilet which wasn't very nice!

To learn how to walk again, I had to undergo a 5 week intense PT course where they had me do lots of exercises with weights etc. Eventually, my muscles built up the strength they needed and I am now able to work short distances unaided !

I agree with what the others said, use the wheelchair if absolutely needed but don't make it a crutch! Many times, I want to get my wheelchair out because walking even small amounts hurts like h*ll but I know I really need to keep mobile as much as possible! I do use it when I am in a severe pain flare but try to keep the useage to a minimum. I think like me, your daughter will probable not like the wheelchair, BUT if it's a way of making her able to get out more, i'm sure it'd help in the long run!

Talk to your daughters doctor and see what they think. RSD's a 'use it or lose it' condition and it's really important that you find the balance between doing too much and doing too little.

If you want to talk, i'm here!

Alison