View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 10:41 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi, my name is Michelle and I'm new to this forum. I see that it's been a few months since anyone had last written but I'm hoping someone can still help me out.

I was diagnosed with TOS in March of this year after having a DVT(blood clot) found in the shoulder area of my right arm. A thrombectomy was performed to remove the clot, but not all of it could be removed and the procedure resulted in me having a few small pulmonary emboli in my left lung. I'm only 20 years old and am otherwise am very healthy, fit and live a positive lifestyle. I've been on Coumadin for about a month and a half (since the thrombectomy and my hospital stay) and my surgeon said that in order to not remain on Coumadin for life, essentially, that a rib resection of my first rib on my right side (where the DVT had been) would be necessary.

I am supposed to be on Coumadin for around six months, mostly to ensure the pulmonary emboli would no longer be in my lung, but since I am a college student going into my last year, I am hoping to do the rub resection surgery in mid-August, which my surgeon said is fine. My vascular surgeon, who I like and trust so far, has been performing rib resections for over twenty years and said he averages two or three a year. Is this reliable enough experience? I got a second opinion at a nearby hospital and all recommendations were the same. However, both hospitals are on the small side and I am wondering if I should get a third opinion form a more major medical center? I live in NH and the closest major medical center for me is Mass General in Boston (about an hour and a half away). My parents called and were told I couldn't be seen there until June at the earliest, which is kind of discouraging.

I guess my other main question is: Is it realistic for me to have the rib resection performed in mid-August and actually be recovered enough to ease into my school year? My classes begin the first week of September but I know I could miss that first week. This would leave three or more weeks for me to recover. My surgeon said two weeks would be time enough, but I know everyone is different. I know my health is more important than my schooling currently, but I am just trying to get the gist of what others who have experienced this may think.

Thank you to anyone who has read this and for any feedback!!
Shell1256 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote