View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 11:57 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Toprol is a beta blocker. It has side effects on the extremities... like cold hands and feet. When blood vessels contract they get cold, they when they open up they feel hot, as the tissues are once again allowed blood flow. So beta blockers are sometimes used for erythromelagia.

Not all calcium channel blockers work for this...and some induce it in fact. Verapamil has been shown to cause it.
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...hsO48sXencPrTg

So it is puzzling why nifedipine is working, for myeamans.
(nifedipine is also a calcium channel blocker).

I would try using magnesium in the form of epsom salts soaks.
If this helps a bit, consider taking oral magnesium daily like Dr. Cohen recommends.
The reason the nifedipine was what they used is because when I had the aertiogram and he injected nitroglycerin in my arteries, they dilated and opened up and the blood started flowing again. He said nifedipine was the best thing for dilating blood vessels. I can feel and see when it starts working. My feet will turn red or my cheeks will, I'll flush when I'm getting a little extra kick from the blood flow. He originally had me on it 3 times a day and the side effects were bad so he tried 2 other CCB's that didn't work as well and then swicthed me back to the nifedipine extended release instead. So, now periodically I can feel the heat in certain areas, it's just a little warmth, no biggie and my feet are so much better! And I can tell you that month last year when my I had heart failure and they took me off of the nifedipine, it was horrible. Everything came back again, the day I was able to start it back, my feet got better.

I don't know if anyone here has what I have, but all I'm saying is take a chance. Even if its a long shot, you never know. I'm 35 years old, the vascular doctor looked at me and said no way do I have any kind of vascular problems but he was stumped and didn't know what else to do. He was shocked when he got in there and saw I did.
myeamans is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote