View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 12:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell1256 View Post
Hi, my name is Michelle and I'm new to this forum. I see that it's been a few months since anyone had last written but I'm hoping someone can still help me out.

I was diagnosed with TOS in March of this year after having a DVT(blood clot) found in the shoulder area of my right arm. A thrombectomy was performed to remove the clot, but not all of it could be removed and the procedure resulted in me having a few small pulmonary emboli in my left lung. I'm only 20 years old and am otherwise am very healthy, fit and live a positive lifestyle. I've been on Coumadin for about a month and a half (since the thrombectomy and my hospital stay) and my surgeon said that in order to not remain on Coumadin for life, essentially, that a rib resection of my first rib on my right side (where the DVT had been) would be necessary.

I am supposed to be on Coumadin for around six months, mostly to ensure the pulmonary emboli would no longer be in my lung, but since I am a college student going into my last year, I am hoping to do the rub resection surgery in mid-August, which my surgeon said is fine. My vascular surgeon, who I like and trust so far, has been performing rib resections for over twenty years and said he averages two or three a year. Is this reliable enough experience? I got a second opinion at a nearby hospital and all recommendations were the same. However, both hospitals are on the small side and I am wondering if I should get a third opinion form a more major medical center? I live in NH and the closest major medical center for me is Mass General in Boston (about an hour and a half away). My parents called and were told I couldn't be seen there until June at the earliest, which is kind of discouraging.

I guess my other main question is: Is it realistic for me to have the rib resection performed in mid-August and actually be recovered enough to ease into my school year? My classes begin the first week of September but I know I could miss that first week. This would leave three or more weeks for me to recover. My surgeon said two weeks would be time enough, but I know everyone is different. I know my health is more important than my schooling currently, but I am just trying to get the gist of what others who have experienced this may think.

Thank you to anyone who has read this and for any feedback!!
Michelle,
I had the same problem - blood clot and pulmonary emboli in left shoulder followed by coumadin for 6 months-have just had first rib resection by Dr.Dean Donahue at MGH. I higly recommend that you get a consult with him before choosing a surgeon. I am sooo glad I did. I live in DC and consulted with 4 different surgeons including the big names - Dr. Donahue was hands down the best choice for me and I am so happy I went with him even though it meant going to Boston. I am 7 weeks post op and doing great. Call Dr. D if you can for at least a consult before you make up your mind - his expertise in venous TOS and amazing bedside manner made my surgery a success.
Moxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote