View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 12:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj1959 View Post
I have been reading through all these threads about SSI and there is one thing I can't figure out. When you first apply for SSDI with SSA, do they automatically sign you up for SSI or do you have to ask? Nobody at SSA ever mentioned SSI to me. I have read where if you get SSI and then SSDI, you have to pay back all or part of the SSI. That don't make donkey sense. I realize that SSI could help most folks including me during the SSDI nightmare but whats the use if you have to turn around and pay it back?
I think, at least I was told when my wife applied for SSDI, when you apply for SSDI you also apply for SSI at the same time. My understanding is this is the procedure. My wife did not qualify for SSI because of too many assets etc. The payback part is SSI comes from the general fund not the SS fund, so that is why they're moneys to be paid back. I guess the logic is if you qualify for SSI, which I guess is similar to welfare because one does not have much in assets, you will when you receive SSDI.
Jimking is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote