View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 09:21 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Pain Control Dr's, vs Neurologist, etc.

I've been noticing it seems more and more, that lots of folks are seeing Pain Control doctors, or centers.
This is kind of distressing to me. I think of them as pill mills. Am I wrong? (too much tv?)

Do these folks actually KNOW rsd? Do they know what tests you might need? Therapy?
//////
Remember the circle of RSD pain management?

Exercise (Use it or lose it) Keep your body limber.
(Yea, I'm great at that. I can walk, with a shock absorbing stick, but I cleaned under my desk the other day, bending, reaching, on my knees, and spent the next day in bed). Hah!

Psych. A psychologist, or better, a psychiatrist that specializes in pain management. You should go through a year or so of treatment to exorcise any psychological pain triggers, and then, go prn. Many of these docs, once they get to know you, may do this over the phone, but, I can't reiterate enough, how important it is.

Your Doctor, and your meds. A doctor who understands RSD thoroughly. And, will treat you correctly. You'll know when you've found the right one!
//////

I went to my own doctor and a chiropractor for years, then the chiro recognized (from another patient) the rsd. He got me in to see Dr S. in Philly within a couple of weeks. (that won't happen now)
My current doctor was Dr S's partner @ Jefferson, who started an RSD institute when Jefferson decided to build a HA center, rather than RSD.
He is, of course a Neurologist PhD. (psych). Dr Robert Knobler.
I'm very pleased. (He's in Fort Washington, close to Philly).

I sort of cringe when I see anyone write or say they're going to their PM doc. IF, they're just giving you a script for a medication, without delving deep into your personal symptoms, something is wrong. JMHO, of course.

What do Ya'll think?

Pete

asb
AintSoBad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
spiritscript (04-17-2015)