View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 10:47 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpongman View Post
That is really what is strange about this disease. Some treatments work for some and not for others. I guess the toughest thing for me is the mental aspect. I have been very active all my life and now I just can't do it. I haven't driven since Aug so my wife has to do all my errands and I never relied on anyone to help me with anything. It's just a real tough adjustment for me.
Mike
I sure do know what you mean. I am seeing a talk-therapist (psychologist) who specializes in helping people in my situation adjust. I think she's been helpful. It's not that she tells me anything I don't know, but she does help me focus in on what particular thing is really bothering me. Also, she gives me some strategies, like how to manage big blocks of time where I'm not strong enough to do much, but where doing nothing really puts me in a funk. (In case anyone's wondering, the strategies are: schedule some activity, even if it's just for 15 minutes, for the middle of that block of time; and also schedule some time where the "activity" is to do nothing worthwhile at all. For me, scheduling that "nothing" time makes it feel more like I'm accomplishing resting, instead of like I'm accomplishing nothing. But these strategies are designed for my particular problem, which seems to be that too much unstructured time depresses me. She helped me figure that out, too.)

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
pingpongman (04-23-2011)