View Single Post
Old 03-04-2007, 03:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Red face

Hi Lara
Im Kylie. My mum Angie started this thread. Sorry it has taken so long to reply. My partner thinks he is PCgenius and was mucking round with the computer and some how managed to completly stuff it. 4 days, a trip to the computer shop and $75 later we are back in business. Men lol
Anyway, thanks for all the info. Im still trying to get my head around everything at the moment and its been a tough few weeks. Some days I think my son is perfectly normal then other days I just know there is something wrong with him.

Um... where to start... ok, firstly on the Autism thing. A few months ago his kinder teacher and I had to complete a questionaire which was a pre-screening test for the Autism spectrum disorder. He didnt get enough 'points' to need any further testing at the time but since his symptoms are changing quite often we may need to do the test again.

Im happy with the ADHD diagnoses. He has all the signs of ADHD. We had already decided to do everything in our power to avoid medication and things were going pretty good. Then his tics got worse. He was clearing his throat literally every second word. We partner counted him one day and he cleared his throat 56 times in 5mins. So off we went back to the pysch who prescribed Neulactil. This little orange tablet has changed our life. He hardly tics at all and he now sleeps thru the night, something that at nearly 5 years old he has never done.

I was a bit surprised at the tourettes diagnoses at first, but the more research I do on it, the more I am starting to see that he has done quite a few of the different tics for sometime now. I didnt really know much about tourettes before all this, only what I had seen in movies. They all had the very loud vocal tics with swearing. He never did this. It wasnt until I saw the long list of other tics that I counted atleast 15-20 that he does do.

As for the further testing - We were told when we saw the Academic child psychiatry unit at RCH that testing cant be done until children are atleast 6 because of the type of tests that need to be done. Aparently a child under 6 wouldnt be able to do the memory, IQ & a few other tests that they do so it wouldnt be worth it

School - His teacher is being great about it. She pulled the 2 children aside that were doing the main bully and spoke to them letting them know that it wasnt on. She also spoke to the whole class about bullying in general. They school already has a no-bullying policy and Im pretty happy that the school are going everything they can to help my son.

I have to get going to give the boys breakfast and send them off to school. If I think of anything else I'll come back later and re-post.
Thanks again for all the links and info.

- Kylie
Kylz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote