View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 08:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie66 View Post
I had an MRI scan yesterday at St James Hospital in Leeds. They have a 3T scanner there. They scanned upper and lower spine. I wonder if the lower region is in fact a sacral fracture? The symptoms seem to say so. The neuro surgeon now has a good picture to work from. Not looking forward to the cure procedure!

Over past months I have been experiencing severe pelvic pains. The neurosurgeon said that my spine was in wonderful nick for a 75 year old. This is strange since I was told in the 1990o's that I had severe osteoporosis. I always believed it to be anticonvulsant hypocalcaemia and the scan has shown that I was right all along. I have replaced the calcium from my normal diet. The people here taking anticonvulsant medication of any kind should make sure that the doctor keeps a check on bone strength.

As is usual I have had to work out for myself as to why I am getting pelvic pain. Since I have truncal ataxia and malabsorption of vitamin E my balance leaves a lot to be desired. It should be noted that cerebellar lesions do not cause paralysis. I have paraspinal paralysis, Half of my neck is paralysed, and my right leg is quite lazy.

I can concentrate on my balance. I can concentrate on getting mobile despite the non-working muscles, but I cannot concentrate on both. The consequence has been that I have put too much load and awkward movements on to the pelvis, thereby damaging the ligaments. I believe that I have damaged the sacrum/pelvis ligaments and the pubic ligament.

I am now resting the pelvis as much as possible and have succeeded in reducing the inflammation in the pelvic region.

My GP has at last realized that I really do have a neuro problem - perhaps the use of a power wheelchair and my inability to walk has rung a few bells Maybe, just maybe, the fact that I gave him a copy of the report that I sent to the Epilepsy Research Foundation might have done the trick. He acknowledged that I have had poor medical care from Doctors. He has made a referral to a neurologist at long last ---- but I won't be holding my breath
jackie66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote