View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 05:51 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi nothingash,

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry to hear that your husband had a simple partial sz. last night. I will tell you that he needs to stay away from anything with nutra sweet (aspartame) and any other sugar subtatutes. It has been proven that nutra sweet causes more electrical activity in the brain which can trigger sz.
The diet to help stop sz. is called the ketogenic diet and it's been around since 1927. You can buy the book titled "The Epilepsy Diet Treatment" by Dr. John Freeman and it will explain how the diet works. Your husband will need to start eating foods high in fat, and low in carbs and starches this in turn will build up ketones in a persons body and help reduce and in some cases stop a persons sz. Also when any cooking is done you must use canola oil, olive oil or butter in the frying pan don't use vegetable oil. I've been on the diet and it has worked great reducing my absence (petit mal) and complex partial sz. I also lost 75 lbs. while on this diet and I was amazed. The diet makes a person feel full. The best way to go on the diet is to see a dietician who has experience with this diet they can be the biggest help. Also I'm taking fewer AED's (sz. meds) since I went on the diet. I also have a cousin who was in WWII who had tonic clonic (grand mal) sz. and he flew airplanes during the war and didn't have a single sz. while he was on this diet. Here's wishing you and your husband only the best of luck and May God Bless You Both!

Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote