View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Sorry to hear of your struggles with your daughter.

It sounds odd that her recent NP eval says her cognitive deficits are gone. It also sounds like she may have suffered her injury during a very critical time of brain development. If this is the case, she needs someone to help her understand that her judgment system in her brain may be under or undeveloped. This will require that she choose to accept the help and direction of others. Otherwise, you have a 12 year old in a 16 year old body.

Have you had any hormone blood work done? This could be helpful.

Also, what does she relate as the reason for walking out of school? Is she overwhelmed by stimuli?

There is an organization that might be of help to you. NACD has some special systems for getting through to the brain injured. Check out their web site at www.nacd.org

Has she had any opportunity to try a manipulative oriented learning situation? Sometimes, strictly academic educational systems are like banging your head against the wall. Hands on process oriented tasks may be more beneficial.

Has she tried to do any manual tasks/hobbies? Getting her working with her hands can be a good start. She likely needs to build up some self-confidence too.

Are you connected to a brain injury support group? It can be a great help. The BIAA web site can direct you to a state BIA that can list support groups. See www.biausa.org

With the sketchy detail you posted, this is about all I can think of to help. Was her NP Eval a full battery/ 2 to 4 hours or more? Or did they just do a short battery that leaves out many tests? Some info on her NP Eval report would be interesting.

Let us know more and we will try to help.

My best to you two.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (04-27-2011)