View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 01:02 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My 2 cents for what its worth..I post on a political forum, and the religious debates are usually knock down drag out fights between the athiests, the agnostics and the Christians..Ive never given a whole lot of thought about the seperation of church and state except I thought it was a step in the direction of evil when as a result prayer was removed from the daily routine of school, and nativity scenes were banned on state and federal property..Then one day an athiest posted something that I had never given any thought to..He said.."Why should church property be tax exempt?..I dont believe in any God and the tax money exempt from those properties somehow, somewhere along the line comes out of my hide..Im an athiest and I have rights too"..Hence I finally understood the difference between the seperation of church and state..Thats what make this a democracy..Its got nothing to do with perceived right and wrong..It has to do with equal rights, and I think thats the crux of what Roe vs Wade is all about..When the church starts dictating policy, then its no longer a democracy anymore..Its a dictatorship because the unfaithful have no voice in the matter..Whether thats moral or immoral is not the question..It just is..It then is up to me to personally to make my own decisions and come to my own conclusions as to what I think is right for me, as to what my personal beliefs are, and not what is right or wrong for someone else

I think many of us have at one time or another struggled with the morality stem cell research..I have too..Sometimes I still do..But I also struggle with watching people suffer from this and other diseases, and I think that if someone wants stem cell research to move foward, then inspite of how I view the morallity or immorality of it, those that want it have the right to persue their goals, because stem cell resesrch is not illegal, and they should be afforded their constitutional rights..This is always where the debate gets ugly, because people have the right to not believe in a God if they so choose, and Ive come to respect that

Last edited by stevem53; 03-05-2007 at 01:42 AM.
stevem53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote