View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 12:50 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My daughter and I both have been to counseling. On advice by her Drs and counselor, I have acted in a supportive role in order to let her figure things out on her own. They told me that she wouldn't want to be in the house all the time either, etc. So I went with it...

Now, over a year later, she is worse than ever. She rarely leaves the house, refuses counseling, often refuses meds, refuses to go to school, etc... She has panic attacks when she is out and about around people. Now, ironically, I am told that I should have made her go to school and be out and about that she isn't capable of figuring things out on her own.

That's why I am posting here. Has anyone had experience with frontal lobe TBIs with these issues and what helped?

Her IQ is 112, WAIS working memory 95, processing speed 132, verbal comprehension 107, and perceptual reasoning 107.

Behavior Rating Inventory of Executive Function:
Initiate 71 (98%)
Working memory 79 (>99%)
Metacognition index 77 (>99%)
Global Executive index 72 (98%)

Neuropsych stated that her executive functioning was intact but application was deficient. But at the same time stated that all cognitive deficits were resolved.

Auditory delayed 117 (87%)

Rey Osterreith low average
delayed recall 14 (18%)
MMPI-II not done
digit span subset 8
logical memory II-recall 14 (91%)

Rey Complex figure:
Immed recal 45 (31%)
Delayed recall 41 (18%)

SSRIs have made her nauseated, we have tried Buspar without success. She refuses meds (she will wear the clonidine patch) which includes any nutritional supplements. Can't even get her to take a multivitamin.

Directly after her accident she definitely had difficulty with social cues, would make a face and ask me if it looked like she was mad, sad, etc. The counselor worked with her on that aspect. She has a degree of paranoia of people talking about her, if someone laughs thinks they are laughing at her.

She has agreed to try counseling and school again and will start school again in a couple of weeks. Her first goal is to make it through 5 minutes a day before she runs and then that time will be increased as tolerated. I am praying that after that first day, she will go back and keep trying. With other programs, she refused to go back after that first day.

Anyway, I appreciate all the wonderful comments, and if you have more ideas let me know. Please tell me this gets easier....
Exhausted_Sage is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (05-01-2011)