View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 08:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Alice, you're right about wheelchairs, and I do know it. I was looking for one, but I have a question. My husband has pushed me in my walker a few times when I was stuck somewhere--far from the car, and suddenly (unexpectedly) too weak to walk. But when we're outside, that makes me very nervous, because if he hits a crack in a parking lot, or a rock or stick or something, the whole thing can tip in the direction he's pushing (I am usually sitting backwards on the walker, so that I can prop up my feet on the axle). This has happened a couple of times, so if I'm in that situation I ask him to pull me instead.

The wheelchairs I see all have front wheels that are similar to my walker's front wheels. So if someone's pushing me in a wheelchair outside, what's to stop me from being spilled forward out of the chair if we hit uneven ground? Are wheelchairs not meant to be used outside?

For now I have my rickshaw, which is very safe (there's a photo of it here: http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/album.php?albumid=471 ). That's perfect for walks around the neighborhood, but it's too big to put in the family van. I would like to be able to go to outdoor places with my family this summer.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote