View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 09:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwasanurse View Post
Dear Abby,

I know the feelings that you are going through because I did the same. I then got a power chair with my insurance thinking I could then use to go shopping and go to places I couldn't then. However, insurance will not pay for the lift on a car to carry the chair. So I am still stuck and have a brand new power chair and can't use it to accomodate me. Doesn't seem fair. Good luck to you though.
Endless frustrations, dealing with the disability systems in America! I'm sorry you're stuck. People don't understand how precious each bit of mobility is to us. I told my doctor that on a good day, I don't need the parking thing, but on a bad day, I just don't go out. That's what I'm trying to change. And sometimes I have to go out on a bad day.

Even the handicapped parking form, in my state, is stacked against me: technically, I only qualify if I can't walk without the help of a "brace, cane, crutch, wheelchair, prosthetic device or another person"--nothing about a rollator there, but my doctor is going by the spirit of the law. What really upsets me is that everyone is sure he knows someone who got a certificate fraudulently--and everyone is sure he knows someone who's perfectly healthy, but has a disability income. Then I hear stories here, like the member who was accused of failing to take her medicine, since myasthenia gravis can simply be cured by taking your medicine. So infuriating and tragic.

The other day, three different little league coaches told me that I must volunteer in the concession stand, or my son can't play. I knew this was just woeful ignorance, but I had to take my complaint all the way to the league president before we got that one straightened out.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote