View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 11:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default chronic pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovecottage View Post
I came back after I had my back Fusion. My pain was maybe a 4, I was in sheer joy to have the death pain gone. Additionally I was home one day just before surgery drinking vodka at 11 in the morning. I have a lge amoir in my great room with a mirror on one of the doors, I happened to glance up from my drink and saw myself in the mirror. My pajamas were still on, I had not showered in days , my hair was a nest and to top off this very look ,I was drunk. This is a visual that changed my life. Here I was with my doctorate,nice home and happily married to my best friend. I was throwing it all away for bad vodka and trash TV I have not had a drink since that day. I slowly began to recover from the Fusion and my bad habit. I started by readig and writing about the darkness that this pain led to, I didnt stop there I continue to write articles about chronic pain and pain management and its effects on people lives. I took a very negative exp. and transformed it into an outlet for others to learn from.Now about you and your art wow do you have a gift!! How might I purchase one ? since your shoulder injury what artistic modality do you work with? Tell me more.... Linda
Thanks Linda. It looks like you have emerged with a new purpose in life, and have used the pain as a catalyst. Funny how there is sometimes a benefit from being ill.
In your case helping others.
I'm still looking......
I don't do any art at all now. Before mosaics I did drawing classes, and was quite good with charcoal, but had to give that up as I couldn't work for the full 2 hours and just lost concentration and muscle control.
Then into mosaics which you can stop and start as you feel like it.
Did that for 8 years or so until the pain and after effects became too much.
Sold quite a few small ones and gave lots as gifts. Quite proud of my work, and being tough it will live on!
I still have several pieces here which I'm happy to sell, but the weight of them is a problem making postage expensive.
Still, if you let me know where you are I can get a mail cost and let you know.
I've been painting our verandah concrete and that's what given me grief. Takes a week to recover.
Then doing PC work on top of that, and so on. Shoulder just burns!
Have done enough painting for a while so will retreat and lick my wounds!

Peter B is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote