View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 03:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default long-term results

I had a successful bi-level ALIF/PLIF (L4 to S1) in summer, 2008 and have been virtually pain-free since. This followed a failed laminectomy/laminotomy at the same levels in 2007. The symptoms returned six weeks, to the day, after that initial surgery.

The fusion itself isn't fun. For me, it was done in two separate installments separated by months. The anterior portion was worse immediately (more post-operative discomfort) but I recovered faster than the posterior procedure, which was far more painful in the immediate weeks afterward.

My surgeon had me wear a fusion-stimulation device for several hours a day, for three months. (an appliance, sort of like a back brace, easily tolerated during sleep). He said it increased the odds of a successful bone graft, so the inconvenience was easily worth it.

My internist says I'm a somewhat unusual case, having almost no pain since the fusions were completed. I worry a little about the possibility of additional disc levels becoming a problem, but so far things are great. I returned to work eight weeks after the last surgery (I also worked between each surgery, not wanting to become dependent on pain meds and determined to maintain a normal life as much as was possible).

Most important thing is to find a surgeon you trust and believe in. I sought several opinions before finding the right guy. Do not be intimidated by any surgeons trying to hurry you along. This is a huge decision, and you're ultimately going to be the one living with the result.

Good luck.
bshiller is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote