Thread: hi guys
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 09:28 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBARA356 View Post
Has anybody had a barium swallow test and speech test? My doctor ordered one for me today. I have had trouble losing my voice and having a feeling like something is stuck in my throat. I read on the internet that people who have trouble talking and swallowing are the ones that have trouble breathing. Is this a true statement you think? I get hoarse if I talk more than a few minutes? Have any of you experience this then started having trouble swallowing as a symptom after having hoarseness of their voice?
Hey Barbara, I started out having my esophagus stretched because it felt like the last bite of food would stick. It would take hours it seemed for it to go down. I got so used to it, I got were I could go on and ignore it. I started getting hoarse last October was a year ago. I went to the ENT and had some kind of pipe run down my throat. I was diagnosed as stomach acid and allergies. Another ENT said no allergies, but needed speech. Went to 2nd opinion and they ran the pipe again and said I had dysphagia. Finally, diagnosed with MG and voice was coming from that. If I use my voice a lot, it goes really hoarse. Some days it is better. I get tired of explaining why I don't have something contagious. People will cover their mouths thinking I have something. I still try to sing in the choir but I usually only sing whispering. I know how you feel and I hope you get better. I refused to do the barium swallow because I have had it before and it showed nothing. Sometimes I use my voice as a means to let me know if it is time to rest. If it is really hoarse, I know I need to slow it down more and rest. that may sound crazy, but it works for me. Good luck in your tests. busy
busybusy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote