Thread: hi guys
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 10:09 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
Hi Barbara,
Before I was diagnosed with MG, actually before it was even a consideration, my GI doc sent me for a barium swallow. (The first symptoms I noticed were difficulty swallowing and twitchy eye movements). Mine was done standing. I was given barium to drink and it wasn't delightful but not bad either. Unfortunately, as we all know, MG doesn't perform on cue so mine was absolutely normal. Later the GI doc realized we should have done a modified barium swallow which includes barium laced food and pudding, etc, to test all consistencies. By that time I was ready to move on rather than be repeatedly tested for a swallow problem and have everyone stand around scratching their heads. The first time I saw the neuro she was writing out scripts for different swallow studies until she did the physical/neurological exam and found proximal weakness. She tore up the swallow referrals and told me we were heading in a different direction.
I am interested in hearing how your swallow study goes. Hopefully they will catch you while you are having symtoms so they will see what is going on.

For me I have swallow problems daily/most all the time. My speech is more variable, sometimes I have hoarseness with speaking for more than a few minutes. Other times I have slurring associated with the jaw weakness. I haven't had a crisis (thank God) but have had some weakness of the diaphragm leading to difficulty taking a deep breath and shortness of breath. So, to answer your question, I haven't really noticed that one leads to the other. The swallow is just an everpresent problem.

Tysondouglass, did they see anything on your swallow study?

Hey- all they found was that my esphogus muscles were/are weak which they already knew. They told me there was nothing I could do- just eat more slowly when having these problems.
tysondouglass is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote