View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Since it is happening around your period, I would definitely say it has a hormonal component. I find that hormones do effect my MS. I always have old MS symptoms reappear around my period. Being emotional around that time is a new thing for me and I am finding that I have more anxiety around that time than any other time. Anxiety is new to me too but from what I have read, it is common during the peri years as well as menopausal years. Oh joy!

This past flare really did a number on me. Of course, some major life changes/stressors as well as just entering the peri phase of my life isn't helping any. I've been trying to find solutions, other than more meds, to help me. Anyhow, these are somethings that I have found to help me.

Lately, I have been doing a lot of reading on magnesium. Apparently, it helps with peri, anxiety, and MS symptoms. I made up my own magnesium cream with Epsom salt and have been using it every day and am finding quite a bit of relief in my MS symptoms (spasms) and thus, have less pain related anxiety. I've been doing it for a week now. MrsD has a great thread in the Supplement forum on here about magnesium. Lots of great information. While I get most of my magnesium through my diet, I find that I need more than the 320 mg required. I have also read some studies that magnesium transdermal is better absorbed than oral supplements and the benefit is, you don't get the laxative effects that oral supplementation can cause.

Additionally, I altered my diet some and started tracking it more closely. I have seen much improvement since balancing my diet more and eating more calories. There is a free website that you can use to do this. DD19 was studying to be a nutritionist and showed me this site that they used in her nutrition class. It's helping me keep on target. I found that I was not eating enough calories and there are a few vitamins/minerals that I am not getting enough of. This has been helpful as I now know what I need to supplement.

Blood sugar levels can effect so many things including anxiety. And, hormonal fluctuations can effect our blood sugar. Anxiety/nervousness causes us to burn more calories. So, I decided if I was going to be an anxious nervous person now, I need to up my calories as the anxiety/nervousness is burning them off too quickly. I am finding that on the days I have lower calories, I feel worse that day and I am more anxious the next day. But, if I keep between 1800 and 2000 calories a day, I do much better.

This is the site: http://www.mypyramidtracker.gov/Default.aspx?Module=3 You put in the food that you eat and the amounts and it calculates it's nutritional value, calories, etc. It tracks it over time as well.

I hope some of this is helpful. Hang in there!
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AynaDee (05-03-2011), Catch (05-03-2011), SallyC (05-04-2011)