View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I am an avid snow skier. I was once a member of the National Ski Patrol. I learned lots about the statistics of injury. Injury is far more common at the end of an athletic activity because the athlete is tired. Their reactions are dulled and their strength is reduced. The last quarter of a game is a very likely time to suffer an injury. In some cases, there is an increased risk of injury due to a "We have to win this game" effort that may cause players to take risks beyond normal.

When I was a private airplane pilot, we called this "Get there itis." Reaching the final objective starts to cloud the judgment and accidents become more prevalent. Watch the news reports about aircraft accidents. They are far more likely to happen at the end of a flight than at the beginning.

In soccer, the most dangerous headers are those in the goalie box, especially from a corner kick. Multiple players try to get to the ball and brains get injured.

In your case, it sounds like multiple players tried to get to the quarterback and your brain got injured.

Keep in mind, coaches have a desire to get players back into the game so they use standards that support that goal. Some recent research into the attitudes of coaches and trainers found that they are becoming reluctant to label a head hit as a concussion because it causes a mandatory time away from play in many leagues.

They are totally ignoring the proven science that any head hit should be recorded and responded to with conservative return to play decision making.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (05-03-2011)