View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 09:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile Pain pump surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogga View Post
Hi,

I see my PM dr tomorrow and am going to approach him about a pump. Has this ever been done before with ketamine that anyone knows? Just after the last severe hit from RSD the DBS is sounding more and more like something that might not be able to happen, so want to go the Neurosurgeon with every option possible.

So, any of you (apart from Hope - who I PROMISE I will PM back) got one? are they any good? how bad is the surgery?

I am tempted to leave all surgery alone, but I know I cannot continue with my life this way and if there is any way to reduce the pain and spasticity then I am, probaly, willing to try it. (I react INCREDIBLY badly to operations, even needles, the EMG made my RSD a million times worse and after one nerve I had to stop, so the thought of an op is pretty scary).

So, any advice?

Thanks

Frogga xxxxxx
Dear Frogga
I know about pain pumps not sure about the med you are talking about ketamine" I assume that is a medicine but I have had my pump for almost 5 years and it has changed my life. before I could do almost nothing because of the pain after laying in a bed for five years my doc offered me one and I took it. He has a clinic next to his office does the surgery there. All his staff so no hospital stay that was a good start. I hate surgery after having five in a row I swore no more. But that is not the right mind set this is not surgery hoping it is going to help the situation after passing the trial you will know if the meds work then they will implant the pump. It took them less than 30 minutes to do the implant I was under did not feel any pain recovery was not bad for me because it only took a couple of days where my other stuff took years. The pump has given me back to me. Now I do not dwell on pain because there is none. When I first got the pump you take pain pills too until they get the dose right for you which can take a month or two but i had relief as soon as I woke up the adjustments of meds is for detail they do not want you to have any pain. That is there job! You can ask me any questions you so desire and I will give you the truth but I will say to stop the pain I would had done anything I have been in pain 18 years with the pump only five of them. I can do so many things could not do before. Do your research and feel comfort when you make your decision. You will have a trial run to make sure they have a med that will work it is done in the office/clinic lasted about four hours if it works they will schedule time to implant it is on the left side of my stomach out of the way of blue jeans many times I forget it is even there it is so small all I do is go in and get it filled when my time comes up takes 15 min's to do then I am out the door in the sunshine. I am going to watch over your post to see what you decide because it is your decision. also remember you can email me if you have questions.
Later
donnieJ
donnieJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote