Thread: 23andme
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 12:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I did not sign up because...

1. I did not want to spend the money! Initial fee appears to be $99. DS had that waived.
2. It costs $9/month. Not a lot of money but I can think of ways I can spend $9 that would be of better use for me.

Besides, in regards to what diseases I may have inherited or be prone to: I have MS and that is enough. At this point in life, I have enough and an attitute of "okay, I have something else."

The only things that truly would be fun is the ancestor part. I have the good fortune to be part of an extensive family tree on my mother's side. A distant cousin did the work and even traveled around the world meeting people (including me).

My genetic gene pool only traces up four generations. Birth/death documents are difficult to attain in the areas of Russia that might have records and the language barrier is also hard to overcome.

Besides, my family was not from rich stock so I am not even sure if there are any records.

It would be really cool to find out if the 23andme company can really pinpoint the area in Russia where my mother's family is supposed to have come from. Another cousin has done research that branches from my maternal grandfather that comes from Turkey.

I have very little information on my father's side other than immigration from Russia to Mexico and then to the United States. I have plans to visit my parents' graves on Memorial Day and will be going to find my great grandfather's stone. Long ago my paternal grandfather showed me his burial place. My grandfather had changed his last name when he crossed the border, made it more anglicized so I need the correct spelling to enter into the ancestry forums to see what happens.

Besides, with DS doing it, I don't need to! DH's family also comes from the same area of Russia as far as we know.
Aarcyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (05-04-2011), Lady (05-04-2011), SallyC (05-04-2011), Twinkletoes (05-04-2011)