View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 09:03 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Question re: Mistake with EMG Test

All - I had an EMG in early March. For various reasons, I have not been able to get back in to see the neurologist who did the study yet. I have an appointment on Monday, May 9th. I did, however, pick up my test results to take to my annual physical so my family doctor could see the results which said it is an abnormal study showing evidence of sensory and motor polyneuropathy and possible myopathy. I looked at it initially and only read the "Summary" and "Impression" sections. However, I just looked at it again tonight and realized that I think my neurologist made a mistake on the test. When I had the test, his technician did the nerve conduction studies on both legs, then the neurologist came in to do the Needle EMG Exam. I distinctly remember that I was lying to the right of the EMG machine facing the doctor and he did the needle test only on my LEFT leg. However, in the section titled "Needle EMG Examination" on the report, it has the letter "R" next to each Muscle listed for the study. Shouldn't the muscles have an "L" next to them if he did my left leg??? I remember asking why he didn't do both legs and the technician said he didn't need to.

I am realizing all this now because I went to UVA today to be evaluated in their Neurology clinic and they say they do not agree with the results. Based on my physical exam, they do not think I have any motor nerve or myopathy issues. At most, they think I have small fiber neuropathy. I didn't mention this whole possible mistake issue while there because I am only realizing it now.

First of all, could someone tell me whether I am right about whether there should be an "L" next to the muscles if he did my left leg? Second, is this an issue? I have neuropathy in both legs anyway, so does it matter? I think it might if the needle results are evaluated against the initial conduction studies that the technician did. If the Needle test results are evaluated against the nerve conduction studies, then this mistake would mean my left leg (mislabeled "right" on the results) needle test results would be measured against my right-side nerve conduction studies.

Please help!! I am concerned. If he made a mistake, then I want another EMG and I don't want to be charged. But it will be my word against the doctor's in terms of which leg it was.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
axseptants is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote