Thread: Genetics and MG
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 06:18 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm so sorry, Debra. I know that it is one thing for you to face your own illness, and a whole other thing to see your daughter face it.

There is somebody on this forum who has MG--and tests positive for the antibodies--and whose sister also has it, and possibly another family member? I am quite sure it's Mike (pingpongman). If he sees this, he can correct me, but I believe he's in the same situation: the doctors tell him MG isn't known to be genetic, and yet there it is.

I do know that a predisposition to autoimmune diseases does run in families, so I suppose that means that if a parent has MG, a child's chances of getting it go up slightly.

You say that they told you they're sure you don't have a congenital (not autoimmune) myasthenic syndrome...is anyone going to revisit that question, in light of these new developments?

I wish you and your daughter strength and health. As devastating as this is, I'm glad that she's going to be spared what some young people with MG go through--not being believed, not being taken seriously. I think you had to go through a couple of full-blown crises before getting your own diagnosis, right? Your suffering is helping your daughter.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote