View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 01:17 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default What a couple of weeks.....

Hi there, I'm new to these forums but I've been reading some other posts the past few days and they've been very helpful. About two weeks ago I went to my GP because I had a sore groin. He told me that I may have a small hernia, but he couldn't feel it. He told me to give it a few weeks and see how I felt. Five nights ago I was lying in bed and began feeling numb in my legs and groin area. I assumed I had been lying too long while watching a movie so I got up and tried to shake my legs out to restore feeling. The problem was it didn't work, so I decided to go sit at my computer and try to work on some class work I had been neglecting. Eventually the numbness began to escalate and pretty soon my legs felt incredibly numb. Nine hours later with no improvement I decided to go to the ER. The doctor decided to run blood, urine, and an MRI. Eventually he came back and said that the tests looked good and told me that I would have to see a Neurologist. While I was relieved that I didn't have any serious issues, I was a bit upset that I had no answers. He told me that I had Sciatica and probably a pulled groin. When I asked how I could be able to sleep, he said to try some ibuprofen. Later that day I began to feel a little better but the tingling feelings never completely went away. That night i fell asleep fairly easily and stayed asleep for about ten hours which is normal for me. I woke up feeling great and didn't bother to schedule an appointment with my GP. As the day went on, I began to feel the tingling again. I went to my class which is a night class. I had to leave because my tingling was returning to numbness. That night I got very little sleep and it was a very "in-and-out" type of sleep. I also began to feel slight numbness in my chest and arms. Since then I've done quite a bit of reading and have discovered Neuropathy and possible causes such as Gluten allergy's, digestive imbalance and diabetes. I've seen a good amount of improvement and usually the only thing tingling is my foot, and it's definitely not as bad as my first night with this misery. I know that I am somewhat lucky not to have severe symptoms and my heart goes out to you that do. The reason I'm here is to see if anybody with experience can give me an insight as to what's causing these symptoms. Over the past few years I would say that I over-use NSAIDS. I have also spent a few years on low dose antibiotics for acne and ironically I just finished a five day dose(for my third chest cold this season) the day before my numbness appeared. That has led me to believe that I may have a digestive imbalance but I'm unable to find concrete evidence in that area. I had also been spending a lot of time in bed due to thinking I had a hernia or groin pull and trying to rest it, I'm not sure if that can irritate the spine enough to cause these symptoms. When I walk I feel somewhat better and I plan to walk everyday from now on. My symptoms may not seem that serious but I'm literally driving myself insane. I made my appointment with a Neurologist but the soonest they had was three weeks from now. I also have a few small rashes on my biceps and I'm pretty sure they were there the morning I went to the ER. My appetite was also down in the beginning but I'm slowly coming out of that. I should also say that my numbness has primarily been only in the right leg. I'm sorry for writing a wall of text and thank you if you actually read it, but I really hope somebody out there can give me a bit of insight. Thanks again.
OhBoyOhBoy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote