View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejibo View Post
That is one of my issues. I have had a double mastectomy so I NEED my bra to hold in my fake boobies when I go out. it just looks bizaare to see someone with a flat chest. I get stared at.

I am loving the suggestions keep them coming
Can you try a different bra? I read some where that a woman got a bra with a thicker band and it helped her with her hug. I think that was on about.ms.com but I'm not too sure. For me, it seems the thicker band would hurt more as the area it "constricts" is greater.

Also, sometimes heat helps too. I alternate sometimes between the heat and ice. Sometimes the heat just makes it worse. Most of the time, I just use ice.

Additionally, as you know, I have been getting massages. These work if the massage therapist does just a gentle massage. My MT has been able to get the swelling down and most of the muscles loosened. The intercostals are still spastic but it has helped me so much. She dropped her rate for me, I don't know why. She said that she got in to massage therapy to help people and not necessarily make money. So she charges me $20 for a 1/2 hour gentle massage. My PCP, who also has MS, recommended that I start getting these done on a regular basis as the area was so sore and so swollen. It really does help. It took about a month or so before the swelling and muscle spasms went down. She would come once a week. I am now doing better and she comes every other week. By the 2nd week I am so ready for her to come.

I will say though that she came the other day and did a deeper massage in the area. I could tell she was going deeper and was sore that evening. So, I don't think a deep tissue massage would be good. Just a gentle one.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (05-06-2011)