View Single Post
Old 09-17-2006, 10:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
acute inflammation is not identified on routine stained sections.
Since your doctor is suggesting trying the gf diet (Hooray!! Good doc.!), I would ask more questions about the above-noted quote.

Acute inflammation does not mean 'no inflammation'. It may mean some inflammation. I would ask if the inflammation was identifiable as Marsh I, II or III lesions. This would bring you a little further along in defining what you're dealing with.

That being said, there was a study in which it was noted that the majority of celiacs (whether they had symptoms or not) did suffer inflammation of the intestinal lining. I do not remember the inflammation being bad enough to be deemed a Marsh lesion and don't have time to look it up... But in the end, who wants ANY inflammation in their intestines anyway? Therefore, even if they are not considered Marsh, you'll still want to try eliminating various foods starting with the obvious (gluten and dairy). However, if it was deemed Marsh I or II, then that would clearly explain why the doc said that she could be gluten sensitive and needs to be gf. Marsh III is boardroom celiac and if you go for a biopsy and don't show Marsh III, then they don't usually call you celiac and won't suggest the diet... even though many, many people will subsequently show with Marsh III at a later date if they show I or II in a preliminary biopsy.

That's my understanding of the studies anyway. Clear as mud right?

Read it 10 times and it gets clearer.
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote