View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 03:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default PD and scoliosis

Hi everyone - it's been a long, long time but now I have a question.

First of all, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 2004 when I was 44 years old. At that time, the neuro put me on both Mirapex and Artane. The good news is that I have not had to increase my medications in the 5 1/2 years I've had PD. Those two drugs are keeping my Parkinsons' at bay.

Now the big question comes ...

I was born with severe scoliosis which was not found until I was 13 and had already grown. Up until last year this has not been a problem.

This past year I've had excruciating back pain and have been to at least two orthopedic doctors as well as the local pain clinic. Nothing they did seems to work. Today I went to see a third but he is also an orthopedic surgeon.

The surgeon compared x-rays of my spine from a year ago to today and the difference is remarkable.

I cannot sit up straight and I walk hunched over as well as leaning to my right side. The surgeon said that it's directly related to my Parkinson's and that adult scoliosis never changes that drastically. Surgery ... major surgery ... is recommended.

I am scared out of my wits, not with the surgery so much as the recuperation. I'd have to spend several weeks in the hospital and much more than that in a rehab facility.

My question is if this has happened to anyone else? If it has, I'd love to hear about it.

People will forget what you said,
people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quoted by: Maya Angelou (Reader's Digest Oct. 2006)
proudest_mama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote