View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 05:17 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi, new to this forum but I have been meaning to write about this for a few weeks now.

I'm a 34 year old who started getting PN symptoms about 4 years ago. Initially they were very intense in the hands and arms but have improved gradually with 150 mg of per thiamin day and a good diet.

Eventually the symptoms returned (with a new belwildering array of other symptoms too) and I accidentally came across the GAPS diet mainly because of the diarrhea that I had ever since the PN started. I always felt they were linked and had noticed anecdotally that diet seemed to play a role in my symptoms. After reading the GAPS diet web site I decided to give it a try.

Since starting about 6 weeks ago many of my symptoms have improved dramatically. The PN is always slow to repsond to improvement but for the first time in 4 years I have been able to stop taking the thiamin without the symptoms returning.

I truly believe the symptoms were due either to leaky gut syndrome, or because of bad bacteria in my intestines. This made all the more sense when I realised my poor diet and a 2 year long course of oxytetracycline antibiotics were very likely a major contribution to my intestinal problems.

I would encourage anyone suffering PN to take a good look at the gaps diet, it has done wonders for me (especially drinking kefir, which is a rich probiotic). Yes it can be hard work avoiding most carbs and sticking to the diet, but for me in comparison to suffering those symptoms it's a stroll in the park. Best of all you only have to do for 6 - 24 months :-)

Last edited by Chemar; 05-10-2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: NO links allowed for new members
fuzzy_logic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
linda_sd02 (05-11-2011)