Thread: Full Recovery
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 07:50 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I agree, it is very nice to hear positive reports once in a while, be it a remission, full recovery, or some progress! Happy to hear the results you have had Ness!!

Here is my "progress report"......

I was diagnosed in September 2009 with CRPS in my big toe. Result of multiple surgeries on that toe. It spread to my entire foot and up my ankle, because I was put in a camwalker for a couple of months while we were trying to figure this out (not good to immobilize!)

I received physical therapy for a couple of months. My PT was an absolute guru and genius, very familiar with CRPS, and I clicked with him immediately. I was very lucky to find a PT of this caliber and with a good CRPS knowledge base. We got the foot to settle down after about 10-12 weeks, and the CRPS now exists in only my toe; the original site of the CRPS. Big score here!!!!! Compared to what so many of you are going through, I consider myself very, very lucky.

Together with my physical therapist, we developed a personal management plan. Below is what I do. And I do it RELIGIOUSLY, every day.

*Warm water therapy for a half hour to start the day. (soaking of foot). It loosens up the foot for therapy and feels great.

*Meditation during the water therapy (what the heck, I'm a captive audience). As mentioned by Ness, the "mind-body" connection should not be ignored and cannot be overstated. It can be very helpful. It can actually change your brain.

*Open your mind to complementary therapies. Below is a link to a site that gives a good overview of many of the complementary therapies that can help you. Look at the bottom of the page where it says "healing practicies A-Z.

http://www.takingcharge.csh.umn.edu/

*Full exercises, yoga stretches and physical therapy (self) for foot and lower extremities after the warm water therapy soak

*General exercise of one hour sometime during the day, depending on what I can handle on that particular day. It must be low impact. I love my stationary bike! It also helps me keep my knee strong, (I need a full knee replacement on the opposite leg, which of course I am putting off as long as possible).

*Chiropractic treatments at least once a month to help keep my spinal alignment, as I have compensatory hip problems related to my foot and the "altered gait" that I have because of the CRPS. I receive ultrasound therapy for the hip while at the chiropractor.

*Massage once a month. Not the "relaxing" kind of massage; rather the therapeutic kind that hurts! Gotta find those trigger points!

*Daily meds consist of neurontin (gabapentin) three times a day, naproxen twice a day, trazadone, amitryptiline. This cocktail sure beats the heck out of percocet which I was originally on but weaned myself off of; another big score there!

*My "team" consists of my Podiatrist for foot issues, my GP for general stuff (sleep meds, anti-depressants, blood tests, etc), my Chiropractor, my Massage Therapist, my guru Physical Therapist, and my Pain Management doctor (whom I saw for sympathetic lumbar blocks and some pain meds early on, but don't need his services right now.....yea!) I think it is important to take a "multi-disciplinary" approach to CRPS. Hit it with all guns and don't ignore the mental health ramifications as many of us suffer from depression. Actively seek out professionals who have had experience with CRPS! If any professional gives you that doe in the headlight look or if you find that you know more than they do after talking with them, keep looking! This is a WIDELY misunderstood disorder, even among professionals. I saw one doctor that had only seen two cases of CRPS in 26 years!

I spend a minimum of 3 hours every day working on managing my CRPS. I've literally "waged war" on this disorder! Without a high level of effort, I get into trouble very, very quickly. Considering I had never heard of CRPS until 2 years ago, I've learned so much about this condition.

Is my CRPS gone? In my dreams! No way! I have days that aren't too bad and I also have days with quite a bit of pain. Is it manageable? YES. And for that, and never knowing what tomorrow will bring, I am very thankful!

Last edited by birchlake; 05-11-2011 at 12:53 PM.
birchlake is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
carolf (04-03-2016), fmichael (05-15-2011), gabbycakes (05-11-2011), Grace and Peace (08-30-2011), Imahotep (05-11-2011), SandyRI (05-10-2011)