View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I am so sorry to hear of your daughter's struggles. Her perfectionism is understood. I used to be a perfectionist. I still strive for perfection but know that it may take repeated attempts to get to that level.

I don't know how to help her change her mind but can understand her frustration. She needs to somehow learn that her injury has not changed who she is. It has only changed how she works. If she would learn how to explain her injury then she may be able to explain it to others in a way that they consider her knowledge of her injury as a sign of her intelligence.

Has she had a NeuroPsych Assessment? It can identify her specific issues.

Regarding pre-calc, has she tried using a blank sheet of paper to cover the problems so she can only see the part that she is working on? Learning how to break down the problem into smaller parts may help her understand the problem.

There are many ways she can work-around her difficulties. Understanding her limitations will help to understand how to learn these work-arounds.

When someone asks about her head, she can respond, "Well, my short term visual memory is struggling. My processing speed is also struggling. I have difficulty doing multiple step tasks. Etc." By breaking down her struggles into the individual components, she can take an objective view of her injury. Instead of "I as a whole person am messed up", she identifies the individual parts/functions of her brain that are struggling to work.

A person who breaks a leg is not a different person. They are the same person with a broken leg that stops them from doing the things that one needs both legs.

As one who had academic problems due to my PCS, in hindsight, those limitations were very minor. the educational system puts so much emphasis on perfection and high achievement when the reality is more about what you can do and not what grades one gets.

If she can learn how to learn with her injured brain, she will do fine. The likely photographic memory is gone, at least for the current time. There are other learning skills she can develop to make up for this.

Try to convince her to put her efforts into learning new ways to learn. This will be the most important rehab. She may need more practical/hands-on time with each subject rather than just theoretical/academic study. Breaking tasks down into smaller parts will also help.

High school and college are much more about learning to apply oneself that it is about mastering any particular subject.

I hope you understand what I mean.

My best to you and your daughter.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Concussed Scientist (05-15-2011), Wildrose55 (05-12-2011)