View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 07:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Dear Cyndy,
DO NOT CUT THE FENTANYL PATCHES AS IT CAN RESULT IN OVERDOSE!!!! I cannot believe a doctor told you to cut the patch. Idiot for sure. If you cut it you can cause to much or to little to be released in a certain area and if it is too much it can release a large amount directly onto your skin and it can cause you to overdose. I have used the patch for over five years and am now happy to report I am off it and all opiods as of Feb 2011. I would NEVER want to go through the withdrawls again and would rather die than do so. It was the worst experience and was under the doctor's care and he let me do it cold turkey. Almost killed me. I have heard of other people having surgery and the doctors prescribe Fentanyl patches and these people are not opiod tolerant at all. They do it so they won't have to keep coming back to their rooms to give them more pain meds but they don't realize it takes about 17 hours for full strength. Also, if you use the patch read the directions and never take a bath or use electric blanket or do anything where the sun or a heat source will increase your body temp or you could overdose.

Personally, after five years of using the patch I would not have gone on it. I would rather take oral opiods or another meds. That stuff is bad news. Not to mention it (along with the rsd) has destroyed my teeth too. But people have to do what they need to but please be careful and NEVER cut the patch. Please let your doctor know so he does not tell other patients to do so. Good luck
kathy d
kathy d is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
fmichael (06-02-2011), gabbycakes (05-13-2011)