View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 02:08 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you, again, Sue and Darlene. I saw the Neurologist yesterday and he said that he cannot predict what will happen if I have my ovaries removed, but that he can treat symptoms that I may or may not have afterward. He recommended doing the most to prevent the cancer, ie. have the ovaries out, and that we can work together to deal with whatever comes up. I really like him, and have been through many neurologists in my lifetime. He is the director of an epilepsy center and it is hard to see him anymore (I always get referred to the nurse practitioner) but this time I insisted on seeing him. He gave me a prescription for the Keppra XR to keep my levels steady, as I was only taking a dose before bed. He also gave me a prescription for Xanax as needed and for Rozarem, which I took before, to help me in case I have trouble sleeping. I think I am armed right now to face whatever it is that comes up initially. I have decided to go ahead with removing the ovaries, as I think I will worry so much about cancer developing there, and there are really no ideal ways to screen for that and symptoms only show up when it is advanced stage. I figure all epileptic women eventually go through menopause, so it shouldn't be a mystery, and I will simply deal with whatever comes up. At least I have the neurologist in the loop and can call him as needed. I really have a great team of doctors (pretty much one in every specialty) and I have faith in God. So I am hoping for the best!!!

Sue - I have been taking a B complex, but not with 1000 B12. Is that a standard dose? Should I add another B12 supplement?

Darlene - I also have always felt that everyone has something to deal with - it just might take some longer than others to have it happen. I also remind myself that you can never be sure what is going on in someone's life. I started having GM seizures at age 5 and was not told what was wrong with me, as back in the early 70's the doctor told my parents not to tell anyone, I guess from the stigma associated with epilepsy. It wasn't until I was around 12 that my parents told me, because I happened to take a book out of the library about a child with epilepsy, and my parents were curious about why I picked the book. That opened up the dialogue. So much made sense to me at that point - the pills I had to take (phenobarb), the EEGs, the strange sensations (auras and seizures) and the times I woke up in the ER. Then ironically at age 13, I started up with GM seizures again. I developed anxiety and was afraid to have seizures in public, even though they only occurred in my sleep. It was really scary and took a lot of confidence building to go to school and get past my anxiety. I have been lucky that my last GM was at 13, but at 27 or so I started with simple partials in my sleep. I do think that having to deal with this at such a young age has made me compassionate towards others, and a good listener. I know God watches over me, as I have been very blessed in my life. So I am going to have my surgery on Monday and will take it from there!

Thanks again to you both for your kind words and advice!
ceba is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote