View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 11:42 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Dropped by Pain Dr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swatgen27 View Post
Good afternoon everyone,

I have been seeing the same physician since the CRPS started which was roughly 4 plus years. Around two months ago I had an emergency with my CRPS pain being out of control and at that time my doctor referred me to another pain management doctor as she thought it would be better for me there because they can see a patient within 24 hours whereas her office it takes two weeks to be seen even on an emergency basis.
I started at this new clinic and they tested my medication levels and I was informed that my medication levels where fine but that they were not going to be able to take me on as a patient because a minimal amount of cannaboids showed up as well. I did not deny that I occasionaly use that for my insomnia and stated that if I knew that this would put my care in jeapordy I would have just taken the sleeping medicine that was offered to me for the insomnia ( I dont like sleeping medications and have stayed away from them because I dont want my sleep cycle to become dependant on medicine).
This new Dr said that he could still "oversee" my care but could not perscribe my monthly medications and I said well how will that work if you arent finding something else to help with the pain to replace what the medication does. He said that maybe the pain would just disapear..umm yeah right..CRPS just majically disapeers. I said I would discontinue the use of the cannabis and he could re-test me to prove that I had not been using it but he said that he still wouldnt want me as a patient. Now, Im left looking for a new Dr that actually can treat CRPS. I called my old Dr because we have such a great relationship and Im hopeful that she will be able to refer me to someone else but I just wanted to tell everyone so that you dont make the same mistake that I did.
The test he performed proved that my medications are taken correctly as perscribed but that did not matter because of the positive test for cannabis. I just cant believe this has happened and trust me the cannabis does not work for pain management it only provides relaxation and an appitie. Obviously from this point forward I will not be partaking in the use of cannabis but Im scared that now no doctor will want to treat me. Please let this be a lesson to everyone.
Sarah
Not myself, but a friend of mine, who also had RSD, was sick on the day of our monthly appts., when the pain meds would be refilled. Seeing he didn't feel or look good, they took a urine test & cannabis showed up & they dropped him, without any referrals. He did find another Dr., but sadly & hate to say, he passed away within 2 months. Finding a little cannabis, when you're always in constant pain, plus reside over 120 miles from the nearest pain center, these doctors need to know the stress & pressure we're always under, spending much of our time trying to find anyway of relief, then just to be dropped, is criminal !!
tonkytoy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
clarkstar (05-15-2011)