View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 05:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Soft Tissue Nerve Impingement (muscle, not spinal)

All - I'm just wondering if anyone out there has determined that their PN is being caused, at least in part, due to nerve impingement or damage in soft tissue. I had an injury (backed into an industrial fan) around the same time my PN started...can't remember if it was before or after the PN began (the PN started 16 years ago so my memory is cloudy). It turned my rear-end totally black and blue but it did not break the skin. I am toying with a theory that some of my neuromuscular tissue may have been damaged then and could be contributing to my PN. I have no idea whether I'm right or not. But a Physical Therapist told me that it feels like I could have nerve entrapment in my Gluteus Medius (sits just below the hip bone in the back) or in my piriformis muscles. My Glut Medius muscle actually feel lumpy, like I have nodules or something there. It also always feels so GOOD for someone to do deep tissue massage on the Glut Medius and piriformis, but even more at the Glut Medius. It does not eliminate the PN, but feels like something kind of temporarily releases.

In addition to the MRIs I'm supposed to have of my brain, cervical spine, and LS spine. I requested my neurologist to order an MRI of my pelvis with emphasis on soft tissue to investigate whether there is some sort of soft tissue damage or entrapment in my butt. Also, because of the vulvar pain and skin problems I have, I think the pelvic MRI might offer some clues. I specifically requested a 3-Tesla MRI because I understand they are the highest resolution and can detect soft tissue issues better than conventional MRI.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
axseptants is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote