View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 05:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I started ketamine on April 19, 2010 with Dr Getson, 10 day low dose outpatient protocol. I knew after the first day that it was going to work for me - my pain was generally reduced to 0-4. After 22 treatments over about 2-3 months in NJ, the RI WC Courts ordered me to start receiving my ketamine here in my home state with a doc that had just become licensed to perform the infusions.

The set-up here is not nearly as nice as Getson's-no lounge chairs (just a hard exam table to lay on!!), and the room where I get my infusions is too bright and is sometimes noisy. But I no longer need to travel over 300 miles every 4 weeks. And my nurse is wonderful. I've had 19 infusions here in RI. I generally get my "boosters" for 2 days in a row, 150 mg, and it takes 4-5 hours. Versed and Zofran are infused at the same time.

My authorization for ketamine is currently expired, and my RI doc won't take care of me until the Courts authorize further treatments. so I am on hold for another 6 or so weeks. I returned to work FT 2 months after the inception of my treatments, so I am trying not to panic...(not for nothing, but my docs here have charged over $31,000 to my insurance company, and all they do is start my IV, the nurse takes care of the rest! and they insist on authorization from the courts before I receive any more care! This business is truly all about the $$$!!!)

My pain sometimes will flare right after an infusion. The very best I tend to feel is about 1 week to 3 weeks after wards, then I will start to get sick again. I am extremely active, and work FT, so I probably run through my ketamine faster than most. My docs had told me I was getting 200 mg, but my nurse told me last week that my dose is actually only 150. So maybe the lower dose is why I need my infusions more often also.

my RSD has not spread since I started getting ketamine. it's definitely better. But not perfect. And while my pain might not be bad all time, I still have the terrible sound sensitivity and need to be careful how I use my arms. and I will always have trouble lying down on my head. But I tapered off of heavy doses of Fentanyl after starting ketamine and have been using Fiorcet instead for my headaches, and Frova if I get a migraine.

The only thing I wish I could have changed is I wish I could have started ketamine sooner!!! But those of you who know me know that it took me many months to get it when I did!!

The best of luck to you, Sandy

Last edited by SandyRI; 05-16-2011 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Added info
SandyRI is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote