View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 10:31 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylilyfan View Post
Mz Migraine, what I was told by the woman who helped me at my local SS office with my claim is a little different than what you posted, so I looked it up on the SS website.

now I am not sure if she told me correctly. She told me that at retirement, the SSDI converts over to SS, and the amount remains the same. When I read this web page, it sort of sounds like it depends on the year you were born - which determines "Full Retirement Age." I was born in 1958, so I would be full retirement age at 66 and 8 months. Now, if they threaten to take away SSDI before then, say at age 62, and I opt for SS, my benefit would be reduced by 30%.

At least if I understand this correctly....

http://www.ssa.gov/dibplan/dqualify.htm
This is true. However, regular Social Security (retirement) is less than the SSDI amount.
As you near your "normal" retirement age, you will get a letter (retirement package) from SS advising you that your "current" SSDI amount will convert to "retirement" SS. You will be given a choice of which amount you want, your SSDI or the "normal" SS retirement amount. At least this holds true for "us" Baby Boomers. If the "Disability" laws have changed regarding "retirement funds," "us" Baby Boomers are grandfathered in under the old law.

I have to check my paperwork and/or wait until I get my "retirement package from SSDI" to see what they say about "us" Baby Boomers collecting early retirement SS. Do we have a choice?
Mz Migraine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote