View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 10:44 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Suz and Wildrose: I am so sorry you are both going through this with your daughters. First, I will tell you that you are having very typical experiences for head injured teenagers. I can sympathize with the anquish you are feeling. I'm sure that doesn't help at all. Anyway...

Second, there IS light at the end of the tunnel. My daughter took close to a year to "recover" from her injury. I put "recover" in quotes because many people believe a concussed brain NEVER returns to normal. The jury is still out in our case. So far she has gotten her GPA back up to previous levels in honors classes, she's taken the SAT without any symptoms, she can exercise without symptoms, etc. She hasn't had a headache in 8 months. The biggest problem now is a little uncertainty on her part...sometimes she isn't sure she'll be able to do something but then she can. Very out of character for her pre-injury.

My daughter was also an athlete and also did some things we wouldn't have allowed if we had known any better. All I can tell you is that she was eventually able to put that athletic, overachiever spirit to work for her in recovery. She recently had to write a "who am I" poem for her English class. She titled it "BRAVE". Neeless to say, I was a sobbing disaster when I read it. She views her injury as a pivotal point in her life. I'm so very proud of her.

There IS light at the end. Wish I had more specific helpful advice but you just have to figure it out for yourselves. Reflexology, chiropractors, vision therapy, accupressure, medications...who knows. Hang in there!
PCSLearner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Concussed Scientist (05-21-2011)