View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 05:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducks View Post
Hi

I'm new to nickel allergies! I haven't had time to read this whole thread yet, but hoping someone could answer this question for me. Are there any chemical symbols/synonyms for nickel which I might see in lists of ingredients in cosmetics etc? I mean, will it always be listed as just plain "nickel" (or NI), or are there other terms to look out for?

Thanks a lot.
Unfortunately food and cosmetic ingredients do not list elemental components (i.e. which elements are in the product). For instance, a cosmetic could list sunflower oil in its ingredients and if you did not know that nuts and seeds are typically high in nickel, then you might think that this product is alright when in fact it could have a significant amount of nickel in it.

That is one of the difficult things about this allergy, you can not just look at the ingredients and tell if it will be OK for you. Even lists that I have found on the internet have conflicting data. Things that are listed as avoid on one list are reported to be Ok on another. Maybe it depends on where the food was grown and what was in the soil there…. I still get blindsided sometimes
Fish Slayer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote