Old 05-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Hmmm..

My tea does not turn brown. It gets a milky yellow color and some of the mucilage coating the seeds, dissolves off too.

The directions say steep 3 minutes, but I do 5 or a bit more and then squeeze out the bag on a spoon. I heat the water separately and then pour into a glass. I base this on the technique for Yerba Mate, which claims that antioxidants and some constituents of that tea, degrade in high temperature water. So cooking the Fenugreek does not seem like a good idea to me. When things turn brown in chemistry that means oxidation. And that is what we want to avoid with organic herbal compounds.

Today I won't mix with the ginger ale. (that was working well for the taste, but the blood sugars are not responding as they did on the tea alone).

The taste is not so bad as the AFTERTASTE... I can taste that stuff for hours after! My cat was interested in the new odor and my kitchen is starting to smell of it too.
Wow, look how different our bodies react to the way we make this tea.

In the beginning, I made regular tea with it. I steeped it 5 minutes. I even chewed the seeds. Did nothing.

I then boiled water, added the seeds and didn't simmer, I just let the seeds do their thing. Water didn't change color that much. Did nothing.

Then I experimented.

When I first added the seeds to regular cold water, DID NOT BRING IT TO A BOIL, but just let it simmer on the stove for 20 minutes or so, and then the color turned to a caramel brown color, THAT WAS WHEN THE STUFF WORKED FOR ME.

So that's what I do.

I even forgot to take my few sips last night and this morning my sugar was 120.

The other morning it was 72.

I know other diabetics. And now I know when to shut up.

And believe me, I had no bad side effects on my blood sugar being 72 upon arising. I felt perfectly fine.

And I had the tea before bed time.

I was at a friend's place and she's diabetic and we usually ask each other how our morning readings are going. I got her on the tea also.

I said "oh, this morning my reading was 72"

She got mad, jumped up and said: 'I KNEW you were going to say that". I said "why, what's the matter?' She said "My sugar was 127"

I said "to some people, 127 is a gift, don't sweat it. Her numbers used to be 600 and she was hospitalized and she's a type 2 and she's now skinny and she's on Lantus and other oral meds. She is now very thin. They test her iron etc.
When she got her a1c reading one day and it was 6.5 she was all upset.

I said "don't be upset, some people have an a1c of 10". "Be happy that you are doing all you can do".

She then said "so how come yours is 72 and mine was 127"

I looked at her and said "Because your diabetes is not MY diabetes"

And then later in the day I was speaking to another diabetic and when I happened to mention that my sugar was 72 that morning, she had a scowl and said "That's too low, it should be 120"

I said "do you know that the range is now 60 something to 99"

She said "I don't care what they say, 72 is too low, it's not good for you".

I just now keep my mouth shut because I've realized that some woman are jealous when your sugar reading is lower than theirs.

And some time ago I was on the phone with yet another diabetic friend (oh my god, all my friends are diabetics now aren't they, but they are also 300 lbs).

Anyway we were talking and she had said her sugar was 250 because she ate a few crackers the night before. I simply said "your sugar is NOT 250 because you ate crackers the night before, and you know it'.

She admitted that she cheats. I said nothing because what on earth am I going to say? She asked me what my sugar was that morning and when I said "85" she started yelling "Oh my god, that's too low, I could never get up and my sugar is 85 I would have the shakes and not feel good, I feel good when my sugar is 200"

I said 'but you know that your sugar is not supposed to be 200, don't you?
"

Her response was "I don't care, I feel better when it's 200"

Since I have absolutely no response for that kind of statement, I change the subject.

Hey, if someone wants to believe that having a sugar reading of 200 upon arising is perfectly fine, then well, it's THEIR business.

Nothing I can do.

And all these people know I sprout, know how it has affected me and say "you are nuts, that's impossible"

Really????

lol

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote