View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 07:35 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default How to respond to a minor setback

I've been recovering from a mild concussion for about 9 days. I've been gradually getting better (from feeling about 25% to about 65%). Yesterday I had a good day (maybe up to 70%) - I was still taking it easy, but started to do more, including:

- Shower
- A few hours of web-surfing, posting, emailing, texting
- A brief walk outside (maybe 15 mins), going slow
- About four or five phone conversations, ranging from 10 - 45 mins
- Three meals with my family (relatively brief)
- Around half a dozen trips up and down the stairs in my parents' place
- Sitting-up meditation (about 10-15 mins)
- Reading (about 20 mins)

I felt pretty good until the end of the day. In the early evening I had two consecutive phone calls lasting a total of about an hour (one with my therapist). Afterwards I went downstairs to get something to eat, and started to feel some recurrence of symptoms (sort of a feeling of being wiped, with a bit of instability/queasiness and a blood rush to the head), so I went back upstairs and crawled into bed. The symptoms faded after about 30-40 mins, but it felt like a step backwards and I had another dream-filled sleep.

Any thoughts on how I should approach the next couple of days? Should I back off completely and do next to nothing, or is it OK to reduce my activities by about 25% and see how things go? I don't want to mess up my recovery and I'm worried that these minor setbacks (I've had several, usually because I start feeling better and do one or two things too many) are re-aggravating the injury.
greenfrog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (02-07-2012)