View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Thanks for posting that Kelly! It was a good article. I even took the nutritional typing test. Guess I'm a mixed bag of stuff.

But, I really believe that nutrition is so important for not only MS but other illness as well. I read Dr. Swank's book and was fascinated. There is lots of interesting information and studies and all sorts of things in the book. Even if one doesn't do the diet, the information is interesting, albeit a little old.

I started the diet and felt great. But, then I fell off the diet as it was hard not to eat red meat. I mean, I just couldn't refuse a nice grilled steak. It's been a few years since I was on it and really should start it back up because I did overall feel better. Plus, most of the foods and stuff in the diet is what I normally ate anyhow, just needed to modify my diet some to fit within his diet.

I sometimes go back to the idea that MS is also somehow a metabolic condition. It may start with the immune system but something goes haywire. I find it interesting that many MSers are deficient in nutrients that they would normally get in their diet and I recently read a study on antioxidants and MS (I posted a thread with some of the links). I found it interesting that on autopsy all MSers were deficient in magnesium in their brain, while healthy subjects weren't (although this was only done on 5 MS patients and 5 controls so it was a small study). And, how many MSers are deficient in vitamin B12 and vitamin D and who knows what other deficiencies we have that they don't test for. But, I also wonder if we are not absorbing the nutrients and/or, again, metabolizing them correctly. If this is the case, is the answer to helping us MSers in our stomachs? Such as leaky gut syndrome?

If this is the case, then I really do think diet is important and a diet specific to they type of disease. So, Dr. Mercola is definitely, IMO, on the right track.

*tkrik going to pull out Dr. Swank's book.*
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AynaDee (05-18-2011), dmplaura (05-19-2011), Kitty (05-18-2011), SallyC (05-18-2011)