View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 11:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default treatment 1 month into PCS

I am 1 month into treatment for PCS. I am taking Topiramate (anti-seizure) and sertraline HCL (to lower adrenaline levels). I got instant relief from the over sensitive nervous system symptoms from the Topiramate so I love that. The sertraline I hate. Makes me feel high, lose verbal filter, I have a taste like sin in my mouth. I do realize that I need it though because I feel the difference when I've tried to take less. I can actually feel the adrenaline buzzing through my body like electricity and then I can't sleep. I can't handle the grocery store. It makes me nauseous and instantly sleepy. I haven't been driving although I think I could if I were alone on the road. Its the relative movement that disorients me. I have raised a son with severe ADHD, one with Aspberger's Syndrome and my youngest son was diagnosed with Panhypopituitarism 2 years ago. I was a Montessori teacher and studied Cognitive Science at UCI and Brandeis so I know something about learning and the brain. Some of the symptoms remind me of my toddlers with immature nervous systems. Some of it reminds me of ADHD. I decided I needed a therapy to gently bring my brain back or at least to train it to cope. So I went back to my Montessori roots where we put things in a child's hands knowing that it will speak to their mind. Natural light is soothing and nature again is full of patterns that the brain is hard-wired to recogize. I decided a garden would be a good project for me. My family was very relieved to see me take charge and have a focus. I started by asking for a gift card to a local nursery for Mother's Day. I planted in containers on a deck so I'm not tromping all over the yard. I can go out for an hour or so and then rest. I researched different plants, tools, etc. online. Made lists and planned the layout. My husband has taken me to several diffeerent nurseries in the area to buy plants. It has been a Godsend. I feel normal when I'm focused on it. None of it has made me feel overwhelmed. Will it translate to other parts of my life? I don't know yet. I am seeing a neurologist this month who is an expert in PCS.
graciesmum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote