View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 07:39 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Me, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
"New research from the University of Cincinnati (UC) shows that elevated levels of sodium blunt the body's natural responses to stress by inhibiting stress hormones that would otherwise be activated in stressful situations. These hormones are located along the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis, which controls reactions to stress."
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0405175012.htm

Another of my favorite soap boxes is the appalling ignorance of electrolyte issues in the neurological community. If, as I believe, a large part of PD comes from our weird stress response, then that bag of chips may be more than just comfort food.
Rick, I have long thought the campaign against salt is completely wrong. You can't even get a packet of salt at my kids' schools, even for a baked potato! It's absurd. Of course, I totally get that anything in excess is not good, but given that the powers that be are recently revising, quite drastically, I might add, the levels of Vitamin D and other things that the body needs, that tells me those "recommended levels" are not too reliable.

I read recently that if you crave salt, literally crave it, then you have an imbalance in the thyroid. Surprise, surprise, surprise.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote