View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 01:23 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggs440 View Post
Hi,
My Mom on labor day of 2008 had a brain aneurysm bleed. She was life flighted to University hospitals in Cleveland Ohio where they coiled 2 of the aneurysms, her recovery was very fast and she was out of the hospital withing 3 weeks. They took care of my mom's AVM(its like a tangled mass of veins in her brain) on December 5th 2008 in a 2 surgery process. This was by far the worst experience of my life, after the first surgery my mother did not recognize any of her family and acted like a small child. They took her in for the removal of the AVM on December 6th and she came out much better than the first, she knew her own name and most of her family. But our last trial was an aneurysm that had not burst that needed to be clipped. This surgery was scheduled for January 5th 2009, this surgery seemed to be the easiest of them all... but after my mom had recovered she was different, it was like someone else was in her body. My mom was my best friend and now she won't even really talk to me, she is more irritable and just all around unpleasant. She used to be everyone's best friend! She usually worked seconds but now she wakes up late and goes to bed early! I don't know what to do! Its ripping my family apart. I was wondering if anyone has had an experience close to this? I hope with time she will become more of what she used to be, but I don't know what to think. Please someone help.
I am an AVM Survivor...mine ruptured the day before my 16th birthday. It was a change for me, especially the first year. I was a different person, and depressed a lot. The stroke threw me back into a 6th grade levelfor the first few months. I laughed like a child and went back to playing with barbie dolls. I think my nephew, who was 8 years of age at that time, was the only person I felt normal around. It can take years to overcome it, but meeting people in support groups can make a big difference. When my avm ruptured, there was not an internet at that time in 1985, so there were no support groups for my parents and I here in East Texas. In 2007 an AVM survivor started the website "AVMSURVIVORS.ORG" It is an awesome support group. You would not believe how many people in and outside of the US have or had an AVM. If your mom has not connected with that website, please tell her about it.
I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner,but I just joined this website today. Please let me know how your mother is doing today. Take care!
cdupree is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote