View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 05:44 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmichael View Post
Nigel -

It's entirely possible that no one is doing the out patient treatment in Europe right now. The only possible person who I could think of to contact would be another of Dr. Schwartman's collaborators, Ralph-Thomas Kiefer, MD, Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University of Tübingen, Tübingen, Deutschland.

And as far as the numbers are concerned, my guess is that Dr. Rohr intends to give you pretty good ride, if it takes approximately 2.5 days to get up to cruising speed and another 2.5 to come down. Trust me, this is NOT the standard 5-day inpatient ketamine infusion that's largely offered to patients in the US. Put another way, it sounds like you are in good hands, especially for someone who may still be in the "intermediate" stage of the disease. I would take the deal.

One thing though, and this is applicable to any ketamine patient - and may not be too hard in your case - you should plan to spend the 3 - 4 weeks immediately after the procedure in as stress free environment as possible, so as to allow it to "set." It is not, for instance, the time to resume classes at university.

Mike

As much as I would love to avoided it due to its 'tough' proceduree, I think its my only/best bet at the moment. I think I will also be doing nerve blocks together with the ketamine.

My pain is quite sever and has spread to the entire lower right leg. I also have similar pain in my left leg ang left arm however to a much lower extent and not constant unlicke my righ leg. Unfortunatly I have done all the wrong things in these 6 months (knee athroscopy + intense physio) which have boht aggravated/increasesd my pain and symptoms. Could I have progressed the condition?

Dr Rohr stressed that if the treatment works, I would need to lead a very calm life for about 6 months to 1 year, avoiding activities that would encourage the pain to return (no gym, fishing etc etc). As much as i miss my pre life, this is my least worry as long as i am pain free and able to 'live'. Just a little concerned about my muscle wastage however just being able to walk normally should help..

Bottom line is that the doc said I have a good chance / possibility that this treatment will work and although its experimental, I think its my only real shot...

Jim, sorry to hear about your wife, this 10 day outpatient treatment seems promising and worth a try. What do you think?
nigel ep3 05 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
fmichael (05-20-2011)