View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 02:10 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Curcumin

Hi Rick,
Well spotted, this adds to the long list of positive papers we have seen on curcumin over the years.
As you know I have been taking it now for 8 to 9 years, and believe it is responsible for slowing down my progression. After 20 years of PD, I am averageing around 200mg levodopa per day. I now take a 1000 mg curcumin tablet once per day.
I would caution again that you should not expect rapid improvements in symptoms, it is slow acting, but you are building up a resistance steadily to oxidation damage which iron and copper catalyse, and lowering levels of toxic heavy metals like iron coppper mercury and others. Curcumin is a good chelator.
One problem is curcumin is not easily absorbed by the body, but this can be overcome by buying it containing piperine (also known as bioperine),
which enables it to be much more bio-available. Piperine is obtained from black pepper.
You need to exercise caution reading too much into the incidence figures for India (14 cases per 100,000) and USA/UK |(240 cases per 100,000). The shorter expectation of life in India may be complicating the figures, since figures are higher in old age.
Another problem you should be ready for is curcumin is a powerful yellow dye!! It stains everything, but worth suffering it!!
Ron
"Thanks for this!" says:
moondaughter (05-21-2011)