View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 04:56 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
http://www.leakygut.co.uk/About%20Leaky%20Gut.htm

The official definition of Leaky Gut Syndrome is an increase in permeability of the intestinal mucosa to luminal macromolecules, antigens, and toxins associated with inflammatory degenerative and/ or atrophic mucosa or lining.

Put more simply, large spaces develop between the cells of the gut wall allowing bacteria, toxins and food to leak into the bloodstream.

Leaky Gut Syndrome causes the intestinal lining to become inflamed and the microvilli become damaged or altered. The damaged microvilli cannot then produce the necessary enzymes and secretions that are essential for a healthy digestion and the absorption of nutrients.
I eat very healthy, just not a wide variety of foods. I am intolerant of many foods, figuring it all out by trial and error. I have finally found the foods I do well with, and stick with them. I have decided, unless absolutely necessary, I will not take meds...they always cause a flare with my leaky gut.

I have not given up on my doctors, nor them on me. They respect my thoughts and I try to do whatever they feel I should try, within reason. They know I will only use meds as a last resort and never pressure me.

My food issues are not so much allergy as intolerance, which is much harder to test for and very costly. Over the last 11 yrs, I have figured a lot out on my own, often times asking the doctors for certain tests and they usually have no issue working with me. When I went on the candida diet and started losing weight I realized I had finally found one answer. 95# later, I am much happier, still learning though.

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote